Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Action Research Template 1st Attempt


Action Planning Template
Goal: Increase the effectiveness of a tutoring class on reducing student anxiety levels regarding standardized science exams.
Action Steps(s):
Person(s) Responsible:
Timeline: Start/End
Needed Resources
Evaluation
Review literature on specified topic
Jarrett Berry
January 2013-February 2013
-Library
-Internet
-Journals
Determine if topic can be used for research project
Conduct student surveys








Jarrett Berry
February 2013 and every month students are in tutoring program through December 2013.
Survey asking students to rate their anxiety regarding standardized science testing on a scale of 1 to 5, and to provide feedback and suggestions for the tutoring class.
Surveys will be conducted once every 4 weeks to monitor student anxiety levels.
Conduct teacher surveys
Jarrett Berry

Science Teachers
May 2013 and December 2013
Survey asking teachers to rate perceived student anxiety levels on a scale of 1 to 5, and to provide feedback and suggestions for the tutoring class.
Surveys will be conducted at the end of the semesters to assess teacher perceptions of the tutoring program.
Develop a strategy for analyzing findings.
Jarrett Berry
February 2013- December 2013
-Survey results
-Excel
The data will be used to evaluate the tutoring class.
Reflect on project, and consider further research and new questions.
Jarrett Berry
February 2013- December 2013
-Blog
-Notes
How did the research evaluate the effectiveness of the tutoring class on reducing student anxiety regarding standardized science exams?
Develop a way to share findings with campus and district.
Jarrett Berry
January 2014
-Staff Development
-email
Request feedback from colleagues.

7 comments:

  1. Reducing student anxiety when it comes to tests is a great topic to research. You plan looks good to me. I would love to hear if the tutoring program works. I hate the pressure these tests put on students.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you have great detail in all areas. Looks good! I like how you wrote in time to reflect. It seems like an obvious step, but it can be easily overlooked.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your plan looks great. I like that you narrowed it down to checking on the anxiety for science students only. It would be interesting though to see if the same results would be found throughout the core class subjects.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great topic. I understand about test anxiety. My Pre-Calculus students get so stressed out when I hand them a 4 question quiz or a test, so I can imagine how they will be with state/national tests. Let me know how it goes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your research looks good so far! Maybe I missed it, but are you going to survey the kids after the actual science testing to see if the tutoring helped?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Are you going to ask students what strategies were used in tutoring that helped them the most? Are you measuring the stress levels only or are you also rating how they assess their own knowledge of the material correlated to their stress level? Some students know the material and will be stressed anyway. Do the students feel there is a way teachers could structure the test to lower the stress?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I teach Speech, and one of the things I tell my students is the more prepared they are, the more confident they will be. I would imagine it's very similar here...the more they have gone over the material and studied, their confidence would rise and anxiety would fall. Maybe?

    ReplyDelete